The NYNY Fellowship application must be completed online and submitted electronically once all of the required questions have been answered. We strongly encourage applicants to write out their responses before entering them into the online form.
The online application form consists of questions about applicants' educational background, current employment, activities and achievements, self-reported test scores, basic financial information as well as the following components:
Three essay questions must be completed before submitting the application. We consider the responses to the following questions important in the selection process. For each of the essay questions below, you must draft a response in 1500 characters or less (approximately 250 words).
- What are your professional goals and how can NYNY help you achieve those goals? Also, describe why you believe you are a good candidate for the NYNY Fellowship.
- Describe a significant obstacle that you have faced and how you overcame it or describe an experience that has significantly impacted your life.
- Describe a problem associated with your community (or another community that interests you) and the steps that you have taken (or would like to take) to address that problem.
- OPTIONAL ESSAY: If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Fellowship Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., inconsistent or questionable academic performance, weakness in your application).
Applicants must submit a one-page resume. The resume should generally contain the following:
- Contact Information - Full name, address, phone number and e-mail
- Education – college and high school (optional), start and end dates
- Work experience –companies at which you have worked or volunteered, start and end dates, and a description of your responsibilities
- Activities - description of any extracurricular activities you are involved in
- Awards and honors - list of any awards or honors you have earned or received
Applicants must submit transcripts for their high school and for each college or university they have attended. Only unofficial transcripts are required for their application to be reviewed. If you are selected for the NYNY Fellowship, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Unofficial Transcripts should be uploaded to the application site. Please ensure that the scanned copy is legible.
- Official Transcripts should be submitted by mail (New York Needs You, 589 8th Ave, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10018).
Letter(s) of Recommendation
Applicants must submit the names of 1-2 people they have asked to write letters of recommendation for them via the online application. Letters of Recommendation must be submitted online. Applicants should give recommenders ample time to complete the form and submit the recommendation. Submitting recommendations from friends or relatives is discouraged.
Permanent Resident Status (if applicable) – submit by e-mail
U.S. permanent residents must also submit a copy of their green card, which authorizes them to live and work in the United States, by e-mail.