Fellows Program Overview and Eligibility
New York Needs You helps first-generation college students select, secure, and succeed in their careers. The Fellows Program is an intensive mentoring and training program where Fellows develop relationships with highly accomplished community and business leaders.
- Earn a $2,500 professional development grant
- Access 2 summer internships at prestigious companies and organizations
- Receive individualized support from a Mentor Coach
- Obtain in-kind services and products such as free business attire, free writing and ESL support, and subsidized test preparation
- Network with leading industry professionals
NYNY Fellows attend 28 full-day workshops over two years, receiving intense career development and leadership training. All workshops take place on Saturdays in Manhattan and typically run from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Workshops for the 2013 class will begin in June 2013 run approximately twice per month for the first year, and once per month for the second year. All Fellows are matched one-on-one with a young professional Mentor Coach dedicated to their personal and professional growth. NYNY also provides an additional year of support leading up to or following college graduation to help Fellows secure a full-time job in the field of their choice.Click here to download our 2013 Fellows Program Information Sheet for prospective applicants.
NYNY is searching for high-potential, goal-oriented college students who are the first in their families to attend college and who possess a strong track record of performance and leadership. In selecting our NYNY Fellow class, we will consider the following:
Applicants must have a strong academic record, reflecting a commitment to hard work and excellence. The average GPA of the 2012 Fellows Class was 3.6, with accepted GPAs ranging from 3.0 to 4.0.
Applicants must demonstrate leadership and a commitment to communities in need through work experience, campus organizations, athletics or other extracurricular activities.
Applicants must possess a passion for reaching their potential, and must have a vision for how NYNY can help them achieve their professional goals. The Fellows Program is open to students from all disciplines and interests.
Applicants must meet the following four criteria to be eligible for the Fellows Program:
- Neither of my parents/guardians have a bachelor’s degree (in any country)
- I am a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- I am a freshman or sophomore attending college in the greater NYC-area
- I am available to attend regular Saturday workshops in Manhattan (workshops occur bi-weekly in Year 1 starting in June 2013; monthly in Year 2)
In addition to the eligibility requirements above, NYNY gives preferred consideration to low-income students and freshmen in college.
Fellows Program Admissions Timeline
- August 2012 - Fellows Application Opens
- February 15, 2013 - Application and Recommendations Due
- March 25, 2013 - Finalists Notified
- April 6, 2013 - Interview Day for Finalists
- May 10, 2013 - Class Selection Announcement
Our 2013 Fellows Application is now closed. The 2014 NYNY Fellows Application will open in Fall 2013.
Sign up for our application updates, tips, and notification of on-campus events by completing the Fellow Interest Form.
If you have any questions about the online application or admissions process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: (212) 571-0202.